Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Sentimental Fool

Happy Thursday Friends,

It's been one of those days around here. Kind mellow, and quiet. What I would really love today is to have all day to just sit and be quiet and have quiet time with my Jesus. Maybe some coffee too.
     But with my quiet day I have been reminiscing. From where I sit at work I can see the college across the street, and I have been watching all of the freshmen move in today. I realized in my day dreaming that it has been 5 years today since that was me. Little freshman Lydia moving all her things into Kleckner Hall and good old HLG.
     Yes, that curly haired little cutie, was packing up her bags bright and early for the 3 hour drive from home. To tell you the truth I was scared out of my mind. I had spent the last 2 years looking forward to 2007 like it was doomsday or the end of the world (as I knew it). There were A LOT of nerves and even a few tears but looking back it was so exciting and I wish I had let loose a little better.  



 After being whisked away by the "swarm squad" all of my boxes and bags were in my room waiting to be unpacked.




We whipped out the bright pink comforter and umpteen pillows as well as a crazy amount of clothes and next thing I knew, Mom and Dad were leaving and I began the whirlwind of New Student Orientation! I didn't hardly have time to miss my home.




Little did I know that 5 days later, on that fateful first day of classes, down in the coffee shop on campus I would meet this hottie.


It really is hard to believe that, it's really been 5 years. 5 years since "dooms day", 5 years since I met the love of my life. 5 years can seem so short and yet I have grown SO much since then. Looking back there are a few things I wish I could tell little college Freshman Lydia.
- Embrace the change. Growth is good and college is just a step along that path.
- Loosen up a little, if you focus the good grades will come but there is no need to lock your self in your room everynight.
- Learn some balance, Midnight every night might be hard to maintain, but 9 pm is for old people. 
- For the love of GEORGE (or Ethan rather) Learn to flirt a little. It never killed anybody and I don't think having your nose buried in a book is anybodies idea of a love language! 
- Buy your books online! Ha ha I know this sounds so $$ driven but it took me 3 semesters to learn that, and I cringe every time I think of home much I wasted early on on "campus bookstore" books!
- Most of all HAVE FUN! At the beginning 4 years may seem like forever and there may be times (during Jr. Year) that you just wish to elope and be done with it but it goes SO fast! 

(College Themed) 5thing
- My college degree that I worked so hard for
- My husband, the amazing guy that God brought to the same college at the same time as me!
- Friends (near and now far) that I will have for a life time thanks to HLG 
- Sweet memories of midnight breakfasts and (illegal) dance parties
-  HLG, A safe place for those 4 "growing up" years

So how long ago was college for you? What are some of the things from then that you are still thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...