Thursday, December 27, 2012

A very homemade Christmas

"We now return to our regularly scheduled programing." (Hopefully)

Can I tell you all just how much I have missed you? Over the last month I have spent so many moments thinking "Man that would make an awesome blog post" and yet my evenings have been rather "tangled up" recently. 
     As most of you know late in November Ethan passed his MO insurance test and began working as an agent for the Hannibal base of Aflac and since this job is commissioned base, we knew that while he was getting started and trained the two of us will be living on my petite income for a while. To me this meant we would have to get creative for the holidays, since we wouldn't have extra spending money. To which my artsy side announced "Challenge Accepted" 
     The past 6 weeks I have spent every ounce of my free time with a pattern on my computer and a crochet hook in my hand, creating enough hats and ear warmers to warm the heads of everyone we know!
    I now present to you the fruits of my labor of love! I have been hesitant to publish this post till now because I didn't want to spoil presents for anyone that might be receiving one of these lovelies.
 I have been crocheting for several years and so I took this as my opportunity to have some fun and try some new patterns and even create a few of my own.
 I actually bought one of these several years ago that I used as a guide to begin with, but once I got the hang of what I was looking for I branched out.
 I loved the chance to use all kinds of different yarns and different hooks. You can make nearly the exact same pattern but change a couple small things and you have an entirely different look.
 The best part we getting the chance to make each one special and unique for each person. I often found myself thinking on these people and praying for them through out the day as I worked on their pieces.

 I actually sought out a local yarn shop and hand picked a few unique yarns so that I could try something different.

 As you can tell, I frequently got bored with a pattern and felt the need to change things up. That's beauty, there are no rules, as long as it ends up as a hat or ear warmer it didn't matter how I got there.
     I also found myself finding favorite yarns (mostly the more expensive ones :P) and favorite hooks as well. By the end I had definitely worked out what style and what size worked up the quickest and in the last weekend I was cranking out 4 or 5 hats a day. 
     This was such a fun project and with the need that we had I felt that I was able to make so many gifts for so many people and stay well within our budget. Now that is an accomplishing feeling!
     Here is the after picture with several of the presents all wrapped up!
This is a Christmas that even though the packages are small each and everyone came with a small piece of my heart. That means more to me than anything I could ever buy for anyone. 

Hopefully now that christmas is being cleaned up and we are moving into the new year I can reclaim my evenings and get back to a regular pattern with my lovely blog that I have missed so much. I cannot wait to share with you so many of the pictures that I have been saving and the other projects that I have been working on. 

I pray you all had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to 2013! 

2 comments:

  1. All those ear warmers and YOUR MOTHER did not get one??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you got a surround sound entertainment center. So sorry. :) Maybe for your birthday if you are a very good girl.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...